Issue #11537 has been updated by Thomas Sawyer.

Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> I like the idea. My remaining concern is ".?" is too similar to "?." which is chosen by other languages.
> We cannot use "?." since it conflicts with a method call with a "*?" predicate method.

Maybe there is a better syntax by requiring a space:

  u ? .profile ? .thumbnails ? .large

In this way is more an extension of the ternary operator -- the initial dot on the method signals the difference. This should also allow:

  u ? .profile ? .thumbnails ? .large : default

Feature #11537: Introduce "Safe navigation operator"