On 23 October 2015 at 07:51, <duerst / it.aoyama.ac.jp> wrote:

> Issue #9025 has been updated by Martin Drst.
>
> Matthew Kerwin wrote:
> > duerst (Martin Drst) wrote:
>
> > > Ruby is all about making it easier for the programmer. Even the
> smallest amount of debugging is too much when it can be eliminated by
> tweaking the error message.
> >
> > I think that statement accidentally reached a point of absurdity by
> using a very precise definition of "debugging" that I don't share.
>
> It might have been clearer for me to write "Even the smallest reduction in
> the amount of debugging is worth it when it can be achieved by tweaking the
> error message."
>
> Anyway, if it doesn't make life easier for you, that's no problem. It
> won't hurt you, and it will help others, even if you might not believe it.

That's true, and my position has mellowed in the past two years. At worst
harmless*, at best an improvement.

*Does anyone depend on the precise wording of this error message? I know
it's an anti-pattern, but sometimes unavoidable, especially when dealing
with these core exceptions that can't easily be modified to include
programatically-retrievable data.