Hello Eric,

On 2015/10/05 13:59, Eric Wong wrote:
> How about being able to limit the scope of magic comments like
> how the "use" / "no" pragmas work in Perl?

Ruby was started to fix problems in Perl, not to reintroduce them, as
far as I understand :-). Reading code in a file with such comments at
arbitrary places would be quite tough.

> So something like:
>
> 	def hello_world
> 	  # frozen_string_literal: true
> 	  puts 'Hello world'
>
> 	  # frozen_string_literal: false
> 	  foo = 'Hello'
> 	  foo << ' world'
> 	end
>
> It would make refactoring to moving methods to different files/modules
> easier, I think.

Well, as far as I understand Matz, the goal is to move towards a state
where *all* character string literals are frozen. If that's the case,
then it doesn't make much sense to allow arbitrary granularity.

Regards,   Martin.