Bug #11515: CreateProcessW() can cause "Invalid access to memory location"

* Author: Christian Hltje
* Assignee:
* ruby -v:
The second argument for `CreateProcessW()` needs to *not* be a constant because it may be modified:

From https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms682425(v=vs.85).aspx :

> The Unicode version of this function, CreateProcessW, can modify the contents of this string. Therefore, this parameter cannot be a pointer to read-only memory (such as a const variable or a literal string). If this parameter is a constant string, the function may cause an access violation.

This would explain sporadic "Invalid access to memory location" errors people see on Windows.

To resolve ths, `cmd` should be copied into a temporary variable before CreateProcessW() is called.

I've attached a patch that might work, but I'm not an expert C/Windows programmer.

ruby-CreateProcessW-memory-error.diff (919 Bytes)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/