Issue #11553 has been updated by Motohiro KOSAKI.

If some distro doesn't support SystemTap and does support dtrace4linux officially, I'm ok to disable dtrace feature only on such distros. In the other hands, I have no seen any sense to disable it on Fedora/RHEL/CentOS.

I'm not sure Ubuntu's policy, though.

Bug #11553: Disable by default the DTrace support on Linux systems.

* Author: Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez
* Assignee:
* ruby -v: ruby 2.3.0dev (2015-09-26 trunk 51943) [x86_64-linux]
The issue is the following:

* Linux has an unnofficial implementation of DTrace (dtrace4linux).
* However, this still don't works as expected and causes either build failures or segfaults at runtime when is enabled on the Ruby build.
  * Examples:
     * https://github.com/dtrace4linux/linux/issues/111
     * https://github.com/dtrace4linux/linux/issues/116

So, I propose to (by default) disable dtrace support on Linux systems.

Otherwise users that try to build Ruby on a Linux system with dtrace4Linux installed (me for example), will end with a broken build.

Linux users willing to try this feature, can still pass the --enable-dtrace flag to enable it.

Patch attached.

Disable-by-default-the-dtrace-support-on-Linux-syste.patch (1.5 KB)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/