Issue #11390 has been updated by Martin Drst.

Assignee set to Yukihiro Matsumoto

Sameer Deshmukh wrote:
> But it goes against the principle of least surprise that ruby follows throughout the language. It's counter-intuitive and IMO from a layman ruby programmer's point of view the solution you propose does not confirm to the elegance of the syntax.

It's virtually impossible to make any language, even Ruby, unsurprising in all cases for all people. I agree with D.E. Akers that being able to write "foo?1:2" (as compared to that resulting in a syntax error, and forcing people to write "foo?1: 2" or so) is more important overall than to be able towrite :1twothree.

I have assigned this issue to Matz so that he can reject it.

Feature #11390: Allow symbols starting with numbers