It's OK for me to implement Tempfile without using DelegateClass. If JRuby does similar thing already, it might be a good idea to share implementation. Besides that, we might need to think about killing/redefining some unnecessary/invalid methods of File class, e.g. reopen. I am afraid dup is one of them.

Matz.

Feature #7148: Improved Tempfile w/o DelegateClass

* Author: Masaki Matsushita
* Assignee: Yukihiro Matsumoto
I propose improved `Tempfile` without `DelegateClass()`.
Present `Tempfile` has following problems.

1.  confusing inspect

    ~~~ruby
    t = Tempfile.new("foo") #=> #<File:/tmp/foo20121012-6762-12w11to>
    t.is_a? File #=> false
    ~~~

2.  `#dup` doesn't duplicate `IO`

    ~~~ruby
    t = Tempfile.new("foo")
    t.dup.close
    t.read #=> IOError: closed stream
    ~~~

3.  finalizer performs unlink even when it has been duplicated

    ~~~ruby
    t = Tempfile.new("foo")
    path = t.path #=> "/tmp/foo20121012-7533-1q537gq"
    File.exist? path #=> true
    tt = t.dup
    t = nil
    GC.start
    File.exist? path #=> false
    ~~~

I think these problems caused by using `DelegateClass()`.
Therefore, I made a patch to resolve the problems.
The patched Tempfile class is a subclass of File.

patch.diff (3.52 KB)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/