Issue #11194 has been updated by Charles Nutter.

The net/http changes can be ignored; they remove an earlier incorrect mechanism for honoring the JVM properties.

Bug #11194: Refactor env-sourced proxy logic for uri/generic

* Author: Charles Nutter
* Assignee:
* ruby -v: 2.2ish
For https://github.com/jruby/jruby/issues/2983 we are modifying uri/generic.rb's find_proxy logic to also check the JVM properties used to configure proxies.

The diff is here: https://gist.github.com/headius/6272d168cf165ddf675f

There are two changes:

1. The logic for looking up proxy host and non-proxy addresses from ENV has been pulled out into private utility methods. This change should be zero-sum, and I'd like to commit it to HEAD.
2. Additional logic has been added for looking up JVM properties.

I will proceed with the refactor in (1) regardless, but I need community help:

* Any concerns about adding these methods?
* Could we perhaps check RUBY_ENGINE and put the JRuby logic in the canonical uri/generic.rb?

Currently we maintain our own fork of stdlib, and if ruby-core folks don't mind we'd REALLY like to get rid of it. That requires adding a few RUBY_ENGINE checks to MRI's stdlib.

Thoughts?

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/