Issue #11191 has been updated by Lee Jarvis.

> This is not acceptable as-is though, because of the design that an OptionParser instance should not be modified (and may be frozen) at parsing.

Yes good point.

> Currently, you can get a hash by using parse_in_order directly

I noticed that too. This functionality is not exposed though, and I think it should be.

>  the keys will be strings however

I think having strings is better that nothing, but I do think symbols would be better.

> What you want is a method like this?

Yes exactly. This will remove much of the boilerplate I mentioned above. However, the functionality should be exposed (I'm not sure if your code was suggesting that this is a documentable feature or just a workaround). This is made a little more difficult with the design that an `OptionParser` instance should not be modified at parse time. Do you have any other ideas for a workaround?

Feature #11191: Add #to_h method to OptionParser