Issue #10095 has been updated by Tallak Tveide.

I created a gem galled object_as to provide this functionality outside of Ruby core. I also would like to see this included in Ruby core. I think the name Object#as is short and sweet.

Feature #10095: Object#as

* Author: Akira Matsuda
* Assignee:
We've had so many times of feature requests for a method similar to Object#tap that doesn't return self but returns the given block's execution result (e.g. #7388, #6684, #6721 ).

I'm talking about something like this in Ruby of course:
Object.class_eval { def as() yield(self) end }

IIRC Matz is not against introducing this feature but he didn't like any of the names proposed in the past, such as embed, do, identity, ergo, reference, yield_self, itself, apply, map, tap!, etc.

So, let us propose a new name, Object#as today.
It's named from the aspect of the feature that it gives the receiver a new name "as" a block local variable.
For instance, the code reads so natural and intuitive like this:

(1 + 2 + 3 + 4).as {|x| x ** 2}
=> 100

Array.new.as {|a| a << 1; a << 2}
=> [1, 2]