Issue #11088 has been updated by Shishir Joshi.

File 11088_test.rb added

Hi Jurgen,

I executed bug_hunt.rb and I was able to reproduce this issue. But when I tried a simple test (attached in 11088_test.rb) I did not see this bug. Can you tell us how you generated the ruby_object.dump? Do you have code for it?

Also, according to the documentation for Marshall (http://ruby-doc.org/core-2.2.2/Marshal.html#method-c-dump)

> Marshal can't dump following objects:
>
> anonymous Class/Module.
>
> objects which are related to system (ex: Dir, File::Stat, IO, File, Socket and so on)
>
> an instance of MatchData, Data, Method, UnboundMethod, Proc, Thread, ThreadGroup, Continuation
>
> objects which define singleton methods

Bug #11088: Infinite loop on calling missing/overwritten methods of restored marshaled objects

* Author: Jrgen Bickert
* Assignee:
* ruby -v: ruby 2.2.2p95 (2015-04-13 revision 50295) [x86_64-linux]
I have Marshal.dump some objects and then I Marshal.load them and later I call non-existent methods on those objects and instead of raising an exception (NoMethodError) it runs off in an infinite loop.

I have tested with simple cases where the dumped structure is not recursiveand it works fine. So I attached a non-working dump which will when calledwith inspect or a non-existing method run off in an infinite loop.

When you run "ruby bug_hunt.rb" it will get stuck and you have to abort(CTRL-C) and only then will it print an error message and finish.

bug_hunt.rb (336 Bytes)
ruby_object.dump (561 KB)
11088_test.rb (305 Bytes)

--