On Dec 12, 2005, at 1:55 PM, ara.t.howard / noaa.gov wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, James Edward Gray II wrote:
>> On Dec 12, 2005, at 2:10 PM, James Edward Gray II wrote:
>>> I'm *assuming* the change is that we've updated the vendor/rails/
>>> directory to a more recent version.  I'm still running Ruby
>>> 1.8.2, but was when I was seeing the errors too.  Might make sure
>>> your Rails is up-to-date.
>>
>> As usual, I was wrong.  The /vendor/rails/ is the same version.
>> My partner changed the constant definitions to avoid the warnings:
>>
>> OUR_CONST = ... unless const_defined? "OUR_CONST"
>>
>> So, I added a warning statement above those declarations and I see
>> that it is indeed executed twice.  While I was in there, I noticed
>> that controller is a base controller that at least one other
>> controller inherits from.  Testing a theory, I added a warning to
>> an uninherited controller and this is what I see in my test output:

>> Something is fishy there.  Does Rails munge const_missing() by
>> chance?
>
> it does.  i haven't read where, however... somthing to do with
> dependancies
> injection or something...

Hi all.

Rails segregates 'framework' and 'app' files so the latter may be
reloaded
per-request during development.  The result is a quick, responsive dev
environment, but it means Rails is going out of its way to implement
a feature
that Ruby does not natively provide.

We can't tell whether two different paths refer to the same file so
you'll
see double-requires depending on your load path.  You shouldn't see
them in
the framework itself since it uses 'normal' requires.  Otherwise we'd
hit an
inf. loop wrapping already-wrapped methods (as Ara reports.)

Unfortunately, I am unable to reproduce on 1.8.3 or .4p2 with Rails
1.0rc5
running Linux or MacOS X.  I will try 1.8.2 + FreeBSD shortly.

Please note: there is a rails-core list for which this thread is well
suited.
(I hope this error is not an issue with Ruby itself.)