Issue #8667 has been updated by Zachary Scott.

Assignee changed from Martin Bosslet to openssl

Without knowing what `HAVE_AUTHENTICATED_ENCRYPTION` is, I'm not really sure.. also we need a test for this.

Bug #8667:  Unable to set OpenSSL GCM iv_length in Ruby

* Author: Anonymous
* Assignee: openssl
* ruby -v: -
* Backport: 1.9.3: UNKNOWN, 2.0.0: UNKNOWN
 Hello,

 In OpenSSL you are allowed to change the iv_length on an AES-BCM cipher. (
 http://www.openssl.org/docs/crypto/EVP_EncryptInit.html#GCM_Mode) However
 this was not implemented in the ruby-wrapper. Since I am a novice in C and
 OpenSSL I think by no means my supplied patch is complete, it is a start
 however. Maybe this missing function can be added to Ruby 2.0?

 You can now set the iv_length using:

 cipher = OpenSSL::Cipher.new('aes-128-gcm').encrypt
 cipher.iv_len = 16

 An issue I already spotted is that OpenSSL sets the ivlen on the
 cipher_data (snippet from OpenSSL crypto/evp/e_aes.c):
 EVP_AES_GCM_CTX *gctx = c->cipher_data;
 gctx->ivlen = arg;

 and not the c->cipher->iv_len. So querying for the iv_len in ruby by using
 cipher.iv_len will still report the default which is 12. Encryption however
 is done correctly using the new iv-length. I tested it by comparing it to
 results from other programming languages (Java and C#).

 Regards Andres

ossl_set_iv_length.patch (1.25 KB)
0001-Alternate-implementation-of-gcm-IV-length-support.patch (2.01 KB)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/