Hi,

On 2015/03/24 21:44, Balazs Varga wrote:
> I'm researching the GC improvements in CRuby for a while now and I'd
> like to ask two questions:
>
> 1., Could somebody summarize what are write barrier (un)protected objects?
>
> I read about them on heroku blog[1] and also watched Koichi's
> presentation[2] but the concept is still unclear to me.

WB guarantees the object relationship. For example, GC can know old gen
objects refer to new gen objects on generational GC.

However, WB unprotected objects doesn't do that. It means that GC can
not know what objects WB unprotected objects refer to. With such
objects, we can 't make WB required GC algorithms such as gen gc and inc
gc. MRI 2.1 and 2.2 use technique to avoid such issue.

# Now, I'm writing a paper about them, but not sure when I can publish.

> 2., What are the ongoing developments, planned improvements on GC
> (2.x, 3.x)? Where can I find the planned roadmap for CRuby?
>
> I tried to search for this information in the bug tracker without any luck.

Maybe nobody do it. Now I'm working on one thing.

--
// SASADA Koichi at atdot dot net