Hi ruby-core,

Ruby (via RubyCentral) has been accepted as a Google Summer of Code 2015
mentoring organization:

- GSoC site:
https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/logo/edit/google/gsoc2015/ruby#

We are looking for interesting open source Ruby projects that interested
students can work on this summer. One very important project for Ruby is
MRI!

We are very interested in what ruby-core has to say about the following:

- Ideas: There is a Google Summer of Code Ideas list where we are tracking
potential projects. We have posted some ideas for MRI on it, but I'm sure
you have many more:

https://github.com/rubygsoc/rubygsoc/wiki/Ideas-List#mri-matz-ruby-interpreter

- Advice: For MRI projects, we are really interested in ones that actually
have the potential of being merged into MRI. We do not want to make
students work on a project that ruby-core thinks is a bad idea, because
that just wastes everyone's time. If you have any critique of the existing
ideas on the list and think certain ideas are bad and will be rejected from
MRI, it would be great to know sooner than later.

- Mentors: If anyone from ruby-core is willing to mentor students, that
would be great. Many of these projects require expert-level contributions
that only members of ruby-core can potentially provide. We also think that
if ruby-core mentors the projects, it will improve the chances of these
projects actually being merged into MRI.

- Students: Last but certainly not least, we are looking for interested
students to participate in the Ruby Google Summer of Code organization. I
am guessing some of you know some interested students who might be
interested in participating, so if you can help recruit them, that'd be
great!

Just as an example, we have a student who is interested in working on a JIT
for MRI/YARV based on LuaJIT. This seems like a project we wouldn't accept
without an expert-level mentor, and perhaps there is someone on ruby-core
willing to work with him:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rubygsoc/Qht-GccNTRQ

--
Tony Arcieri