Description updated
Status changed from Open to Rejected

Bug #10947: Multiline if statement returns unexpected value instead of raising a syntax error

* Author: Sam Davies
* Assignee:
* ruby -v: 2.1.2
Here is an invalid multiline if statement

~~~ruby
if (false &&
    false &&
    false
    true)
    puts "I was expecting an exception but saw this message instead"
end
~~~

As far as I can tell this is and should never be interpreted as valid syntax.

What actually happens is instead of raising an exception, ruby ignores all values except the last and only evaluates that. If you forget a `&&` at the end of a line this can result in very unexpected behavior.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/