Issue #10686 has been updated by Steve Wills.

Eric Wong wrote:
> Symbol GC is a new feature in 2.2.  In 2.1, symbols could never be GC-ed
>  at all so you'll see this growth, and I don't think it's the policy to
>  backport new features.

I see, thanks for the explanation. Not back porting makes sense then.

Bug #10686: Memory leaking from torture test of symbol GC

* Author: Charles Nutter
* Assignee:
* ruby -v: 2.2p0
* Backport: 2.0.0: DONTNEED, 2.1: DONTNEED, 2.2: DONE
The following code appears to grow without bounds when running on MRI 2.2p0 (and grows *very* fast...hold on to your RAM):

```ruby
x = 0; loop { (x += 1).to_s.to_sym }
```

I asked ko1 about this on Twitter and he said it appears to be leaking strings somewhere.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/