Bug #10703: Invalid Dates Bug Patch

* Author: Imran ""
* Assignee:
* Category:
* Target version:
* ruby -v: 2.0.0-p481
The following is a pure Ruby-based patch to address the issues raised in  Bug 10588 Invalid Dates:

~~~
class SmartTime < Time
  def self.mktime year, month, day
    case month
    when 4, 6, 9, 11
      if day == 31
        raise ArgumentError, 'argument out of range _ APR, JUNE, SEP, NOV',caller
      else
        super
      end
    when 2
        case day
        when 30, 31
          raise ArgumentError, 'argument out of range _ FEB', caller
        when 29
          if year%100 == 0
            if year%400 == 0
              super
            else
              raise ArgumentError, 'argument out of range _ FEB', caller
            end
          else
            if year%4 == 0
              super
            else
              raise ArgumentError, 'argument out of range _ FEB', caller
        else
          super
        end
    else
      super
~~~

Another version of this patch with a light-hearted commentary, using the same algorithm but a slightly different approach, is available at: otherimran.wordpress.com

Ruby is a mature, productive programming tool. It’s not a silly toy. It doesn’t deserve to have such dumb bugs lurking inside its coreclasses.

That’s just me, exercising my right to politely protest the decision made by Ruby maintainers. I hope they would reconsider and fix it internally.

SmartTime.rb (953 Bytes)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/