Issue #10663 has been updated by Martin Drst.

Robert A. Heiler wrote:

> File.chmod 444,'test.rb'

I think this should be
File.chmod 0444,'test.rb'

At least that's what the documentation says.

Eric Wong wrote:
> Try FileUtils.chmod instead.  FileUtils is where the higher-level
>  stuff goes, I think.

In general, this is true. But I think it's not a good idea to have two methods with the same functionality but slightly different sets of accepted parameters.

Feature #10663: Consider adding support for String input to File. methods