Bug #10627: gem update fails with a certificate verification error

* Author: Martijn Saly
* Assignee:
* Category:
* Target version:
* ruby -v: ruby 2.1.5p273 (2014-11-13 revision 48405) [x64-mingw32]
Whenever I execute `gem update` or `gem update --system` it returns this error:

~~~
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::RemoteFetcher::FetchError)
    SSL_connect returned=1 errno=0 state=SSLv3 read server certificate B: certificate verify failed (https://api.rubygems.org/specs.4.8.gz)
~~~

This is on Ruby 2.1.5 with Gem 2.4.2 on Windows 7 x64.
I'm using the x64 version from here: http://rubyinstaller.org/downloads/

This is 100% reproducible, in a normal and in an elevated command prompt.

Not sure if this is a security problem. I'm fairly sure this problem did not exist a couple of days ago, using the exact same client. This indicates there's a problem on the remote server, and not really on my end.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/