Issue #10498 has been updated by Robert Klemme.

Franck Verrot wrote:
> Robert Klemme wrote:

> > Yes, but as a user of loop you would not have a choice any more.  I'd rather use the approach from above or define another method loop_with_index or use the approach with Generator and a constant.  I would definitively not unconditionally provide a counter.
>
> I get your point.
>
> `times` does yield a counter, would you say it's the same concern?

No, because that is specifically designed for iterating a fixed number of times.

Feature #10498: Make `loop` yield a counter

* Author: Franck Verrot
* Assignee: ruby-core
* Category: core
* Target version: current: 2.2.0
# Problem

Teaching Ruby, we always end up with that type of construct

```ruby
i = 0
loop do
  i += 1
  # do something with i....
  raise StopIteration if i ...
end
```

# Solution

What I propose with this patch is making `loop` yield the iteration count:

```ruby
loop do |i|
  # do something with i....
  raise StopIteration if i ...
end
```

`i` starts at 0 and stops at `FIXNUM_MAX` (there's no `Float::Infinity` equivalent for integers).

# Alternate solution

`Integer#times` could work if we had an `<Integer's infinity>` object, so we would just do `<Integer's Infinity>.times { |i| ... }`.

Also, this is the very first patch I submit to Ruby, I might have done something horrible, feel free to tell me :-)

0001-vm_eval.c-loop-now-yields-a-incremented-counter.patch (1.74 KB)
0001-vm_eval.c-loop-now-yields-a-incremented-counter.patch (1.86 KB)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/