Issue #10498 has been updated by Franck Verrot.

Hi Robert, thanks for taking time reading the ticket.

Robert Klemme wrote:
> I am actually against this feature.  Reason: an infinite loop does not need a counter.

Most examples I can find about it (and use personally when teaching) make use of a counter (all languages). Keeping track of the current iteration can be useful.

> We incur the cost of counting (especially when the figure leaves Fixnum space) on all infinite loops.

I definitely agree . I wasn't able to find a way to fine-tune this based on the block's arity as mentioned previously.
On the other hand, you'd need 4,611,686,018,427,387,903 iterations before paying the price of using `BigNum`s, which compared to the code you're having in the block would probably be more expensive than incrementing a `BigNum`.
So I'm not sure whether or not that price should be considered high. Anything I'm missing?

> ~~~
> x = Enumerator::Generator.new {|y| i = -1; loop {y << (i += 1)}}
> ~~~
>
> If needed that can be made a constant somewhere, e.g. in Enumerator.

Given the context, I'm afraid I wouldn't use this unless it's a well-known constant.

Thanks again, looking forward to more insights :-)

Feature #10498: Make `loop` yield a counter