Issue #10042 has been updated by Recursive Madman.

Nobuyoshi Nakada wrote:
> Recursive Madman wrote:
> > An alternative syntax that doesn't introduce a new reserved word would be:
> >
> > ~~~
> > do_something_messy rescue(TypeError, NameError) do_something_with($!)
> > ~~~
>
> It conflicts with existing code for single exception class.

Could you provide an example?

Feature #10042: Deprecate postfix rescue syntax for removal in 3.0

* Author: Charles Nutter
* Assignee: Yukihiro Matsumoto
* Category: core
* Target version: Next Major
The postfix rescue notation is convenient...but almost always is a really bad antipattern.

An example of the notation:

    Integer(f) rescue f # returns f if it is not parseable as an Integer

It silently ignores all StandardError raised by a piece of code...which often covers *many* more exceptions than the user *wants* to be ignoring.

It also hides the cost of constructing and throwing away all those ignored exceptions.

I believe Matz has even said in the past that he regrets adding the feature.

In any case, I propose that "rescue nil" should be deprecated with a warning (either always on or only when verbose) and we should plan to remove it in 3.0.

Who's with me?!

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/