On Oct 11, 2014, at 11:18 PM, mail / tanakakazuki.com wrote:

> Sorry for my late. It's hard to say but.. ruby-gsl doesn't look good =
enough.

I agree that ruby-gsl has its shortcomings.  GSL is a fairly large =
library that provides lots of functionality.  Exposing all that =
functionality to Ruby is no small task.  Another issue is memory =
management; I don't think GSL provides a way to hook into its memory =
allocation so that creates some issues.

> And I suppose we'd better to make such a library from scratch.
>=20
> (Actually I start to make other library(called Numrb)
>=20
> Aside from that, I believe that providing such a feature "as standard" =
is really important in terms of reliability.

I think I prefer a sort of middle ground.  I'd like some sort of =
"standard", built-in way of dealing with multidimensional numerical =
arrays.  I do not think we need to include loads of functionality out of =
the box, but it would be nice to have a standard multidimensional =
numerical array data type that different Ruby extensions could be =
created around.  IMHO, this would provide a nice modular approach so =
that things can evolve with a finer granularity.  It would somewhat =
decouple the numerical algorithms from the underlying data structures as =
well as provide for better interoperability between the different =
extensions that use multidimensional numerical arrays.

> And we can make people we couldn't reach so far have interest in Ruby.

It's always nice to broaden the appeal of Ruby!