I would very much like to be able to provide a Regexp object input from
some input source other than a "fixed" string.  Examples of such sources
would be a file bufferer that reads chunks from a file and can then make
them accessible to the Regexp object as it needs them.  At the moment
there's no way to do this.  The exact semantics of such a method might
be quite complicated, as it can be hard to maintain the MatchData.  How
this is to be done is beyond this initial query, but I would like to
know if anyone besides me sees any merit in this.

Thanks.

        nikolai