Issue #8365 has been updated by Boris Stitnicky.

I have noticed Binding#local_variable_get and Binding#local_variable_set. I wanted to express appreciation.

Feature #8365: Make variables objects

* Author: Boris Stitnicky
* Assignee: Yukihiro Matsumoto
* Category:
* Target version: Next Major
While refactoring a wiki article about Ruby, I found this anonymous proposal:

"How about making variables objects. And assignment is the default message you send to the variable object (not the underlying reference). anintvar 5, now the variable "anintvar" is a reference to the constant integer 5. And since variables are objects, you can do some neat things like subclass variables. It would be a mixed world of static variable typing and dynamic. Use the appropriate one for a given scenario. You could also do linear casting. exm.
                        integer new anintvar 5
                        char new acharvar anintvar

Variable types and the reference object they point to can be 2 different types. But the variable decides how to do the casting not the object referenced. "anintvar" and "acharvar" reference the same object."

I am pasting this anonymous proposal here in original full length, before I rewrite it to a more concise form in that wiki page.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/