Issue #10231 has been updated by Charles Nutter.

Eric Wong wrote:
>  I prefer deliberately leaving out Process::Waiter and Thread references,
>  since I think we may be able to avoid Thread creation entirely in the
>  future (not sure if it's worth the effort).

FWIW, JVM always does a waiter thread to avoid multiple calls to waitpid (which as you know returns results exactly once). The waiter thread is not unusual in that regard.

It's probably possible to avoid the thread and make concurrent waiters just wait on a mutex too...

def wait_for_process
  @mutex.lock
  @result ||= waitpid
ensure
  @mutex.unlock
end

Not sure what wrenches this throws into UNIX-style process management, though.

Note that JVM's subprocess logic also has threads draining the child's streams into an in-memory buffer. I do NOT recommend that. In JRuby 9k we no longer use the JVM's subprocess logic.

Bug #10231: Process.detach(pid) defines new singleton classes every call