Issue #10239 has been reported by Robert A. Heiler.

Bug #10239: Regexp.quote() and default encoding
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/10239

* Author: Robert A. Heiler
* Assignee:
* Category:
* Target version:
* ruby -v: ruby 2.1.2p95 (2014-05-08 revision 45877) [x86_64-linux]
Hello,

I am not sure if this is a bug, or unexpected behaviour (for me).

I will simply report it, I am sure you guys know how and if to
handle this anyway.

I believe it should be documented at least in the official documentation
if it is not a bug.

The situation is that I have several strings with mixed encodings.

Some will have automatically UTF8, some US-ASCII, and yet some
others will have ASCII-8BIT.

I noticed that Regexp.quote() change the encoding of the string
in question in the same project unfortunately, and no way to
change that (as some of that gets set from the outside world
to me).

Here is proof for Regexp.quote() changing the encoding, where
x is my test variable - a string:

  x = "abc"; x.encoding # => #<Encoding:US-ASCII>

  x.encode!('ASCII-8BIT'); x.encoding # => #<Encoding:ASCII-8BIT>

Ok, all works fine, it defaulted to US-ASCII but is not
ASCII-8BIT.

Next:

  test = Regexp.quote(x); test.encoding # => #<Encoding:US-ASCII>

Suddenly the new string that is returned has another encoding.

I looked at the documentation:

  http://www.ruby-doc.org/core-2.1.2/Regexp.html#method-c-quote

But there is no mention that this method would return a new
String object with a different encoding.

I would have expected it to not change the encoding of the
argument-string object there.

Perhaps the documentation could mention that it will ignore
the original encoding of the string given?

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/