Issue #10237 has been reported by Robert A. Heiler.

Feature #10237: Transform all elements of one Encoding into another Encoding for Array and Hash
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/10237

* Author: Robert A. Heiler
* Assignee:
* Category:
* Target version: current: 2.2.0
I find myself to sometimes have to convert one encoding to the other.

For string objects, this is trivial:

.encode()
.force_encoding()

For reading in a file via File.readlines(), this is also
simple because of stuff like:

  File.readlines('test.txt', :encoding => 'ascii-8bit')

For Array and Hashes, however, this is a bit annoying for me.

I'd love to have an .encode method as well.

This method should try to convert all elements on an Array
or a Hash to another encoding IF they are a string object.

I'd like to be able to treat Array and Hashes in the same
way, so that I can e. g. convert a hash dictionary from
one encoding to the other quickly.

It already is possible of course, with some extra lines
of code, but I'd love to have a way to do so with just
one method call.

:

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/