Issue #10228 has been updated by Robert A. Heiler.

I concur that statistics would be useful.

For bioinformatics I am forced to use R (http://www.r-project.org/) right now.

Hopefully I can one day replace all of why I have to use R with Ruby (I guess the
biggest problem are not the routines/methods or algorithms but actually those
plotting options).

A gem can showcase what can be done with statistics addon.

A require line could then be:

  require 'math/statistics'

or just

  require 'statistics'

MS Excel / Libreoffice have quite a lot of standard statistic functions.
AVG() or AVEDEV() or AVERAGEA() and so forth.

Just giving a bit feedback, don't take me too seriously. :)

Feature #10228: Statistics module