Issue #9614 has been updated by Eric Wong.

 I forget, ordering is easy to add to ihash with ccan/list.

 Work-in-progress, this is only for method entries with ihash ordered
 doing "ruby -e exit" (loading rubygems)

 Numbers from valgrind, so "bytes allocated" does not take into account malloc
 overhead of particular malloc implementations:

 st (original):
   total heap usage: 48,119 allocs, 19,169 frees, 8,106,443 bytes allocated

 ihash-unordered
   total heap usage: 45,571 allocs, 19,501 frees, 8,038,885 bytes allocated

 ihash-ordered:
   total heap usage: 45,571 allocs, 19,501 frees, 8,089,941 bytes allocated

 The reduction in overall malloc/free calls is nice; but bytes allocated
 is small because we're dealing with small elements.  This makes method
 entries much bigger (1 pointer for hash chaining, 2 pointers for
 list_node), but reduces the need to make separate allocations for
 st_table_entry.

 1. http://bogomips.org/ruby.git/patch/?id=3930d8172dea41cd
    ihash: initial implementation
 2. http://bogomips.org/ruby.git/patch/?id=02334f26a0c2a1f5
    convert method entries to unordered ihash
 3. http://bogomips.org/ruby.git/patch/?id=fcf8e764bcd5a1c1
    preserve ordering in method entries

 git clone git://bogomips.org/ruby.git branch=ihash7

 (I also started working on constants, but haven't added ordering, yet).

 Running benchmark suite now, I expect uncached method entries for larger
 classes/modules should be faster due to reduced indirection as described
 in [ruby-core:62578]

 For small (currently <=5) element tables, it is like st-packed and does a
 linear search (which will cross cache lines, unfortunately)

Feature #9614: ordering of non-Hash items which use st_ internally