Issue #10181 has been updated by Yura Sokolov.

> But I think we should use Dir.open instead of File.open/File.new for
> openat, and also support Dir#fileno:

Totally agree: it is reasonable to add methods to Dir object for manipulating files relative to directory

Feature #10181: New method File.openat()

* Author: Technorama Ltd.
* Assignee:
* Category:
* Target version:
The purpose of the openat() function is to enable opening files in directories other than the current working directory without exposure to race conditions. Any part of the path of a file could be changed in parallel to a call to open(), resulting in unspecified behavior. By opening a file descriptor for the target directory and using the openat() function it can be guaranteed that the opened file is located relative to the desired directory.

openat() is part of POSIX.1-2008.

Compatibility:
  Linux kernel >= 2.6.16
  FreeBSD >= 7.0