Issue #10183 has been updated by Tsuyoshi Sawada.

Thomas Sawyer wrote:
> I once suggested `object_class` to go along with `object_id`.
>
> Also, see https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/6478 which talks about `BasicObject#__class__`.

What is `__class__`?

Feature #10183: An alternative name for method `class`

* Author: Tsuyoshi Sawada
* Assignee:
* Category:
* Target version:
The method `class` is special in that it always has to have an explicit receiver in order to avoid crash with the keyword `class`. But this is very inconvenient. I have seen so many

    self.class

in codes. I propose that there should be an alternative name for this method so that it can be used with an implicit receiver, and the method name `class` should be gradually depricated.

As for the name, I have no clear idea. I can only think of `klass`, but perhaps someone else might come up with a better name.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/