Tetsuya Kitahata <kitahata / 99.alumni.u-tokyo.ac.jp> wrote:
> What do you think? >> Ruby developers

<snip>

> On Mon, 18 Aug 2014 23:08:11 -0400
> (Subject: Re: Ruby and Rails to become Apache Incubator Project)
> Jim Jagielski wrote:
>
> > Hello!
> >
> > Having Ruby donated to the ASF would be fantastic! We would,
> > of course, require that Ruby move from the 2 clause BSD to
> > the Apache License v2. Would Matz be OK with that?

Personally I like the Apache License v2 more than 2-clause BSD[1]
because of patent protection...

> > On Aug 18, 2014, at 7:27 PM, Tetsuya Kitahata <kitahata / 99.alumni.u-tokyo.ac.jp> wrote:
<snip>
> > > I am suggesting him to promote "Ruby" and Rails projects to
> > > Apache Software Foundation Incubator project (I think soon
> > > they will become Top Level Projects). They need money of the
> > > ASF, I am sure.

What is the benefit to Ruby developers?  Where does the money go?

I do not speak for other Ruby committers, but I have no interest in
anything which would further increase the divide between committers
and drive-by contributors.
Thus, I must always refuse any sort of payment/donation from ASF.

I've never been involved with Apache projects, mainly because they seem
(from my perspective) very bureaucratic.  I do not wish Ruby to become
more bureacratic.

[1] - but I wish more Ruby had become GPLv2+ instead