Feature #10131: Greatest multiple of r not greater than x

* Author: Tsuyoshi Sawada
* Assignee:
* Category:
* Target version:
It happens too often to me that I want to calculate the greatest multiple of numeric r not greater than numeric x. This can be done by a simple operation below:

    x, r = 3.7, 0.5
    x.div(r).*(r) #=> 3.5

    x, r = 41, 6
    x.div(r).*(r) #=> 36

but I encounter this operation so often that I think it is an essential operation, and should be done as a single operation. Can any of the existing zero-ary operation be extended to take an optional argument to do this calculation? For example

    3.7.floor(0.5) #=> 3.5
    41.floor(6)    #=> 36

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/