Issue #10095 has been updated by Rafael Frana.

I believe using `#itself` for this feature will cause confusion. By what I could understand of the original proposal its idea is to return the result of the block instead of the objects itself.

The idea behind `#itself` is to return the object. If we add support to a block and make the method return the result of the block we are just going against the original idea of `#itself`.

Feature #10095: Object#as

* Author: Akira Matsuda
* Assignee:
* Category: core
* Target version: current: 2.2.0
We've had so many times of feature requests for a method similar to Object#tap that doesn't return self but returns the given block's execution result(e.g. #7388, #6684, #6721 ).

I'm talking about something like this in Ruby of course:
Object.class_eval { def as() yield(self) end }

IIRC Matz is not against introducing this feature but he didn't like any ofthe names proposed in the past, such as embed, do, identity, ergo, reference, yield_self, itself, apply, map, tap!, etc.

So, let us propose a new name, Object#as today.
It's named from the aspect of the feature that it gives the receiver a new name "as" a block local variable.
For instance, the code reads so natural and intuitive like this:

(1 + 2 + 3 + 4).as {|x| x ** 2}
=> 100

Array.new.as {|a| a << 1; a << 2}
=> [1, 2]