Issue #10095 has been updated by Andrew Vit.

I thinks this should be added as an optional block on the newly added `#itself` method, and not a new method.

~~~
"ruby".itself                 #=> "ruby"
"ruby".itself(&nil)           #=> "ruby"
"ruby".itself {|s| s.upcase } #=> "RUBY"
~~~

Since there are other method names proposed here, I originally proposed the method name just `#yield` for this, but there was no feedback on that. I think it reads better than `#itself` and has symmetry with the `yield` keyword.

~~~
# yield as a noun means "the result": an object's result (its yield) is itself
"ruby".yield  #=> "ruby"

# yield as a verb means "give way to" or "produce": the object gives way to the block
"ruby".yield {|s| s.upcase } #=> "RUBY"
~~~

Was this considered, and were there objections?

Feature #10095: Object#as