Tomas Hoger wrote:
> Hence the minimal reproducer should be:
>
> ~~~ruby
> require 'openssl'
> digest = OpenSSL::Digest.new('sha1')
> hmac_val = OpenSSL::HMAC.digest(digest, 'secret', 'value')
> print [hmac_val].pack('m')
> ~~~

I couldn't reproduce it with that code, can you?

Bug #10019: segmentation fault/buffer overrun in pack.c (encodes)

* Author: Will Wood
* Assignee:
* Category: core
* Target version:
* ruby -v: ruby 2.1.2p168 (2014-07-06 revision 46721) [i386-mingw32]
* Backport: 2.0.0: REQUIRED, 2.1: DONE
While working with an AWS sample I hit a segmentation fault.  The same sample works under 1.9.3.  It appeared to be coming from pack.c function encodes.  After looking at the source there's a 4K buffer allocated on the stack.  I made a minor change to base the buffer length off of the incoming buffer length with a pad and allocate it off the heap.  Anyway, after fixing this my code sample runs fine.  I'm including a patch file and the sample code.

pack.patch (2.74 KB)
BucketTest.rb (326 Bytes)
pack.c.patch (769 Bytes)

--