Issue #10065 has been updated by Eric Hodel.

I don't understand the value of loading the output of `gem env` as YAML when you can query the fields directly from RubyGems itself.

With the exception of subcommands of `gem env` such as `gem env path` and `gem env home` the output of gem commands is not API. I don't want to encourage parsing the output as YAML and I don't want people to clumsily jump through hoops (Hash inside a single-element Array) when real API exists.

Feature #10065: Make `gem env` command output valid YAML

* Author: David MacMahon
* Assignee: Eric Hodel
* Category: lib/rubygems
* Target version:
The output of `gem environment` is close to being valid YAML, but the `GEM CONFIGURATION` section uses `key => value` instead of `key: value` so the output cannot be parsed by YAML.  The attached patch changes just one line to make the output of `gem environment` be valid YAML.

I could not find a specification for the output of the `gem environment` command so I am filing this as a feature request rather than as a bug.

The attached patch is the minimum change necessary to create valid YAML.  I think the structure of the resulting YAML output is not optimal.  It is currently a one element Hash whose only value is an Array of one element Hashes.  Is it preferable to address that in a separate feature request or as an expansion of this one?

0001-Make-gem-env-command-output-valid-YAML.patch (1.12 KB)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/