Duplicates Bug #9927: webrick does not unset content-length when responding to HEAD requests added

Bug #9986: WEBrick content-length being set when transfer-encoding is chunked

* Author: Leonard Garvey
* Assignee: Hiroshi Nakamura
* Category: lib
* Target version:
* ruby -v: trunk, ruby 2.1.2p95
It's possible to get WEBrick to return both Transfer-Encoding: chunked and a calculated Content-length header. If the Transfer-encoding header is set via WEBrick::HTTPResponse#[]= then #chunked? will return false and the content length will be set during the setup_headers method. This causes issues with rack and safari (example code for rack can be seen https://github.com/rack/rack/issues/618#issuecomment-47355492). As far as I'm aware WEBrick shouldn't return a content-length when a transfer-encoding chunked header is present. Messages MUST NOT include both a Content-Length header field and a transfer-coding. as per http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec4.html

The following test can be placed into test_httpresponse.rb to demonstrate the issue:

~~~
    def test_200_chunked_does_not_set_content_length
      res.body        = 'hello'
      res.status      = 200
      res.chunked     = false
      res["Transfer-Encoding"] = 'chunked'
      res.setup_header

      assert_nil res.header.fetch('content-length', nil)
    end
~~~

I've added a patchfile which includes the above test and a fix for the issue.

webrick_transfer_encoding_chunked_content_length.patch (1.07 KB)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/