Bugs item #2672, was opened at 2005-10-19 11:35
You can respond by visiting:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=1698&aid=2672&group_id=426

Category: Core
Group: None

Initial Comment:
IO.popen is unreliable on win32 because of a broken implementation of _popen in a windows library being used by Ruby.  At least this is what I assum eis the case, taken from Python popen documentation which states that _popen is broken and later versions of python don't use it.

Found this out when trying to write a simple backup script for Subversion, do a svnadmin dump Repo and pipe it into a backup file (even gzipping in the process).  But in ruby the result would be the wrong filesize(2.5MB instead of 2.8MB) and would fail part way through the svnadmin load Repo < dumpfile call on a different machine.

After re-writing it in python it worked, so I assumed the blurb on the python docs is true and ruby might be using that broken _popen call.  either way something is funny with it.

Ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) on Windows 2003 Server, installed from one-click installer I believe.