Issue #9953 has been reported by Thomas Enebo.

Feature #9953: set_trace_func values which could be frozen or symbols
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/9953

* Author: Thomas Enebo
* Assignee:
* Category:
* Target version:
I have been changing JRuby's tracing support internally and notice we churn through lots of extra Ruby objects per set_trace_func call.  It strikes me that a couple of these values do not need to be allocated more than once.  I propose:

1. event_type becomes a symbol (or could be single frozen string per distinct event type)
2. filename becomes a single frozen string per file (frozen per spec and possible single instance as impl-specific detail)

I find the value of these two values being mutable strings to be minimal and tracing speed will have less GC-pressure.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/