I think we can get the effect of having an error for edge cases (deep freezing a class, for example) by simply removing `Module#deep_freeze`. I feel there's no need to add a new method like `insulated?`, simply ask instead `respond_to?(:deep_freeze)`.

Feature #2509: Recursive freezing?

* Author: Marc-Andre Lafortune
* Assignee: Yukihiro Matsumoto
* Category: core
* Target version: next minor
=begin
 I like freezing my constants, config files I read, etc... I believe it is the typical use case for #freeze.

 In all theses cases, what I really want to do is freeze everything. There is often no easy way to do this (e.g. for config files), or else one must explicitly call freeze a bunch of times, like:

 DEFAULT_SEND_FILE_OPTIONS = {
   :type         => 'application/octet-stream'.freeze,
   :disposition  => 'attachment'.freeze,
 }.freeze

 It would be very nice if there was an easy way to freeze recursively arrays, hashes, etc...

 A solution would be for #freeze to accept a level argument (similar to flatten, but the default being 1), or alternatively a boolean one (recursive = false).

 Should I write a patch for this feature request?

 Thanks,

 Marc-Andr
=end

deep_freeze.pdf (90.8 KB)