Issue #8259 has been updated by Vit Z.

>  I do atomic operations all the time in C on arbitrary addresses.
>  Lazy, non-atomic accesses run without speed penalty if I don't need
>  up-to-date data.

Are you talking about Ruby with GVL or C in general? If C in general then
I don't understand how barrier-less access to concurrently updatable
data does not result in unexpected behaviors for you...

>  The uncommon case of Array/Hash shrinkage would require RCU or similar
>  (epoch-based reclamation).  But there's no penalty for reads or in-place
>  modifications other than the cost of the atomic and required memory
>  barriers.

The cost of memory barriers is what I was talking about, right now
concurrent Ruby VMs don't need to have any memory barriers on
any of the `Array`/`Hash` methods. Adding "atomic" methods
to `Array`/`Hash` would force them to put some kind of memory
barriers on all of the methods. This will result in a performance penalty
that cannot be avoided. What I am worried about, is that this will result
in native Ruby `Array`/`Hash` becoming slower for single-threaded
usage forever and there will no way to ever get the original performance
back.

-thedarkone

Feature #8259: Atomic attributes accessors