Issue #8370 has been updated by Leif Eriksen.

From my reading of RFC-1867, this constant/constraint is not required.

If a server detects space constraints for an upload, it can terminate the connection at any time.

Servers can indicate a maximum length via the MAXLENGTH attribute, but clients are not required to limit themselves to it.

Clients are generally required to supply an overall content-length for the upload - servers can act on that at the commencement of transmission, or terminate at a later time according to whatever policy has been set up.

There is no reason, that I can see, to artificially limit the upload size on the client side, the server can accept or reject at any time.

I will raise a git pull request from my commit https://github.com/leriksen/ruby/commit/77f3a6bbb92e3f395851e7998556d7df160f4da1

Bug #8370: Constants MAX_MULTIPART_LENGTH in cgi\core.rb

* Author: Takeyuki FUJIOKA
* Assignee: Takeyuki FUJIOKA
* Category: lib
* Target version: current: 2.2.0
* ruby -v: ruby 2.1.0dev (2013-05-03 trunk 40571) [x86_64-darwin12.3.0]
* Backport:
=begin
: Reported by Andreas Kraus via gmail.

  hi xibbar,

  I try to understand why the MAX_MULTIPART_LENGTH is a Constant and i can't change it.
  If i uload a Multipart file which is larger than 128 MB raise an error "too large multipart data.",
  but why i can't change this value to upload larger files.

  The Constant comes with this Change:
  ((<URL:https://github.com/ruby/ruby/commit/10e9b638069d9e40233242693814b86c672e423e#lib/cgi/core.rb>))

  The only sense i see, is that the Author of cgialt uses max 128MB files und build in this Constant ...

  I would like to know why this constant is in place and how to change it's behaviour.
  My requirement is to upload files larger than the given limit of 128MB.

  regards,
  Andreas
=end

--