Issue #9882 has been updated by Eric Wong.

 tim / nexgate.com wrote:
 > I have the following code. In a nutshell i am slicing a string to pull out strings to use as keys in a hash. However when running the following code, I am getting odd results.
 > context = "Marriott International World°«s Most ADMIRED LodgingCompany by FORTUNE for 14th yr. via @FortuneMagazine http://cnnmon.ie/1kcFZSQ"

 The smart quote (°«) character in context seems to have something to do
 with it failing to match.  Using a normal single quote ('), everything
 works as expected.

 Other than that, I'm puzzled, too.  All strings show up as
 Encoding::UTF-8 on my system.

Bug #9882: Issue with hash string keys

I have the following code. In a nutshell i am slicing a string to pull out strings to use as keys in a hash. However when running the following code, I am getting odd results.
context = "Marriott International World°«s Most ADMIRED Lodging Company by FORTUNE for 14th yr. via @FortuneMagazine http://cnnmon.ie/1kcFZSQ"
slice_url = context.slice(105,24)
str = "http://cnnmon.ie/1kcFZSQ"
slice_url == str
redirects = {"http://cnnmon.ie/1kcFZSQ"=>"http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/06/leadership/marriott-hotels.pr.fortune"}
redirects.key?(slice_url)
redirects.key?(str)

The slice_url and str are equal, however when I look for the key in redirects with slice_url I get a nil, but when setting the string variable manually, I get a match and value.  I am not sure if this is an issue with the value returned by the string slice method or an issue with the hash.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/