Issue #9711 has been updated by Hiroshi SHIBATA.

Status changed from Closed to Open
Assignee set to Ryan Davis

Hi, Ryan.

I and sora_h removed test-unit from stdlib.
Please remove minitest from stdlib too.

>I would like the packaging / installation process to be extended so
that these packages are all installed as real gems the same way any
other gem is installed.

Sorry, I missed your above comments.
Today, We(Ruby committers) discussed your opinion.
We agreed that ruby shouldn't be release without test library.

But We have no solution yet. we need to discuss continuously.
I'll create follow tickets.

1. Should we bundle test-unit2(http://rubygems.org/gems/test-unit)?
2. Should we make gem installation mechanism with packaging?

These are main discussion theme at next developer meeting.
I coordinate it.

Thanks.

Feature #9711: Remove test-unit and minitest from stdlib.

* Author: Hiroshi SHIBATA
* Assignee: Ryan Davis
* Category:
* Target version: current: 2.2.0
ref. #9660

We are hard to maintain test-unit and minitest for standard library.
I poropose to remove to their from stdlib.

see also my patches: https://github.com/hsbt/ruby/compare/extracted-test-suite?expand=1

my solution is that test-unit and minitest move to test directory.
their are used only ruby-core tests.

If people hope to use test-unit and minitest, they can download their from rubygems.

copy-test-unit-minitest.patch (140 KB)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/