On 10/13/05, Mauricio Fern?ndez <mfp / acm.org> wrote:

> The inclusion of Package.rb in RubyGems would benefit:
>
> [snip]
>
> Repackagers:
> * unified repackager-friendly format for all sw. written in Ruby
> * ability to automate partially the packaging process thanks to a predictable
>   structure and consistent standards
>
> RubyGems developers
> * interaction with repackagers done through Package.rb, which has been
>   designed and implemented based on the feedback from experienced repackagers
> * less work ;-) much of the TODO

Didn't you say the repackaging problems concerning RubyGems were about
content, not format?

For example, if I put the following code in a library file:

  require_gem 'gmailer', '> 0.1.0'

and then package it as a gem, will repackagers complain?  Does the
answer to that question depend on whether I used Packager.rb in the
process?

I'm all for Packager.rb being an excellent piece of software and
RubyGems using it if appropriate, but I wonder if it really solves all
the problems.

Cheers,
Gavin