Mauricio Fern?ndez said:
> * people releasing only in .gem format, without pointing to an online
>   repository
> * .gem packages that don't include the Rakefile/gemspec used to build
>   the .gem
> * source code being processed before the .gem is generated (code
>   generation, fixing internal references, etc.)
> * assumptions in the code that can be attributed to RubyGems' 1-gem-1-dir
>   install layout, which require modifications to the software if it is to
>   be installed differently

Some very good nuggets of information is here.  It seems to me that phase
I is educating gem creators.  With that in mind, I threw together a
writeboard page where we can edit and refine this advice with the view
toward incorporating it in the RubyGems documentation.  I've invited
Mauricio and Chad to the writeboard.  Let me know if anyone else is
interested.

--
-- Jim Weirich     jim / weirichhouse.org    http://onestepback.org