Directs lib/mkmf.rb to sets some variables for header and library directories, e.g.: `$top_srcdir`.
And Visual C++ compilers have been supported already.

Bug #9824: mkmf.rb top_srcdir not printed in Makefile of ext/openssl

* Author: Ignacio Rodrigo
* Assignee:
* Category: ext/openssl
* Target version:
* ruby -v: 2.1.2-p95 (2014-05-08 revision 45877) [x64-mswin64_100]
Hi,

First of all, apologies in advance for the lack of technical knowledge about Ruby, I'm pretty new to it, but I think I have detected a bug in the build process of ext/openssl.

As a newbie, I was trying to build ruby 2.1.2-p95 on my Windows 64-bits machine by compiling everything natively. Compiling ruby itself for Windows x64 went fine, compiling the ext/zlib went fine but... when it came to ext/openssl:

In the windows command prompt I ran:

~~~
cd ext/openssl
ruby extconf.rb --with-openssl-dir=<openssl_path>
~~~

Everything run fine and the Makefile was created. Then I run:

nmake (using the x64 compiler)

...and got the following error:

~~~
NMAKE : fatal error U1073: don't know how to make 'thread_native.h'
~~~

After going crazy looking for answers on the internet to no avail I decided to have a look at the Makefile generated. On the last line, I saw:

~~~makefile
ossl.obj: $(top_srcdir)/thread_native.h $(top_srcdir)/thread_$(THREAD_MODEL).h
~~~

So I said to myself, "OK, so I just need to specify the top_srcdir. I looked for it elsewhere in Makefile and it just wasn't specified anywhere! I realised that all the paths where specified at the top at:

~~~makefile
#### Start of system configuration section. ####

srcdir = .
topdir = etc...
~~~

So I just added:

~~~makefile
top_srcdir: D:\ruby-2.1.2 (the uncompressed ruby 2.1.2-p95 version folder, where thread_native.h and other *.h files are located).
~~~

Then I run again in ext/openssl:

nmake

...followed by...

nmake install

...and everything run fine and works!

As I'm pretty new to Ruby I have no idea of the inner workings of Ruby but I tried to track down why the top_srcdir: line was missing in the configuration in Makefile and I managed to track it down to mkmf.rb file in the ruby-2.1.2 folder. Specifically in line 1838 of mkmf.rb:

~~~ruby
#{"top_srcdir = " + $top_srcdir.sub(%r"\A#{Regexp.quote($topdir)}/", "$(topdir)/") if $extmk}
~~~

I presume `top_srcdir` did not get printed out to the `Makefile` because `$extmk` (which I cannot figure out what it is) returned `false` (notice the "`if $extmk`" conditional).

As I said, I am not at all familiar with the inner workings of Ruby so I was hoping one of you could help fix this so that other people in my same situation don't go crazy trying to fix it?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read this and for your help in advance!

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/